Journalism begins where hype ends

,,

In a few years, Artificial Intelligence (AI) virtual assistants will be as common as the smart phone "

— Dave Waters

Trump Pulls Back on AI Executive Order After Pressure from Sacks and Industry

US President Donald Trump
May 22, 2026 08:20 PM IST | Written by Mithun MK | Edited by Vaibhav Jha

US President Donald Trump postponed signing an executive order on artificial intelligence on Thursday, May 21, after last-minute lobbying from Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, and former White House AI adviser, David Sacks. The White House has already sent invitations to a signing ceremony attended by AI company executives before the decision to postpone was made. 

“I didn’t like certain aspects of it. I postponed it,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday. “I think it gets in the way of , you know, we are leading China, we are leading everybody, and I didn’t want to do anything to get in the way of that lead,” he said, reported Axios.

Reports suggest Mark Zuckerberg and Sacks all spoke with Trump between Wednesday night and Thursday morning. They told Trump the order could slow development of AI technology, warning of a chilling effect on the industry, according to anonymous insiders who spoke to the Washington Post, as reported by Axios. White House officials were reportedly taken aback by the delay, particularly as Sacks had previously indicated he could accept the order.

The draft order would have required AI companies to share first-tier models with the Federal government at least 90 days before public release under a voluntary framework. The executive order would have created some oversight for powerful new AI models but would not have created an official new licensing regime, according to Semaphore. 

Musk and others were able to appeal to the accelerationist faction within the administration, including officials at the National Economic Council and staffers in the vice president’s office, according to Semaphore. Musk’s xAi and Zuckerberg’s Meta are direct competitors to Anthropic and OpenAI, two companies whose frontier model releases were the primary trigger for the draft order. The White House has not said when or whether the order will be signed in revised form.

Also Read: White House Set to Issue AI Order For 90-Day Access to Frontier Models

Authors

  • Mithun MK Special Correspondent with AI FrontPage

    Mithun MK is a Special Correspondent at AI FrontPage. He brings over six years of investigative reporting on technology, surveillance, digital rights, and governance at The News Minute and The New Indian Express. He is trained in cross-border investigative methods with OCCRP, alongside reporters from Southeast Asia, and brings both reporting depth and technical fluency to AI FrontPage's coverage of the global AI industry.

    LinkedIn

  • Vaibhav Jha, editor and co-founder at AI FrontPage

    Vaibhav Jha is an Editor and Co-founder of AI FrontPage. In his decade long career in journalism, Vaibhav has reported for publications including The Indian Express, Hindustan Times, and The New York Times, covering the intersection of technology, policy, and society. Outside work, he’s usually trying to persuade people to watch Anurag Kashyap films.

    LinkedIn